We’re not just looking at your teeth during your exam. A thorough oral cancer screening is an important part of your comprehensive exam. Oral cancer has a high mortality rate because it is typically found late in its development when it has already spread to other parts of the body. We hope we don’t find anything suspicious during your oral cancer screening exam, but if we do, we want to find it early.
VELscope® Oral Cancer Screening System
Dr. Jonathan Thomas uses the VELscope® device to aid in identifying potential cancerous or pre-cancerous tissues early enough that they cannot be identified with the naked eye. This makes your exam more thorough, and any suspicious areas can be quickly investigated for confirmation of oral disease. In order to provide the highest standard of care, our dentist includes the oral cancer screening as part of your annual exam.
Common Symptoms of Oral Cancer
- A persistent sore throat or feeling like something is caught at the back of the throat
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Persistent sores on the face, neck, or mouth
- Ear pain
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips, or other areas of the mouth
- Red, white, or speckled patches in the mouth
- Difficulty chewing, speaking, or swallowing
- Changes in the fit of your dentures or other oral appliance, or in your bite
For more information about how you can benefit from oral cancer screening in Kihei, Hawaii, and to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jonathan Thomas, please call us today at 808-879-1944.